Friday, November 1, 2013

The Paleo Chocolate Lovers' Cookbook

Two years ago, if I received a cookbook for my birthday, I might have been a little disappointed. Time has definitely changed. Over the past two years, we have collected 8 paleo cookbooks. I love trying out as many recipes as possible. 

For my birthday this year, Zach got me this beautiful book...
Yes, an entire book about chocolate! Knox, our 4 month old, got me a basket full of cooking supplies so I could start cooking as soon as I got the book. I knew that I was starting the 21-Day Sugar Detox on Nov. 1st, so I didn't hesitate to try as many recipes as I could from this book. 

Here are a few things I tried...

I made these Sunflower Cups for Zach's Halloween Treat.
I have never used sunflower butter but these were pretty amazing!

Banana-Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins
Last Sunday, we had some bananas that we either needed to eat or throw away so I made these. So moist and wonderful!

Bundt Cake with Ganache
This was our anniversary dessert! Once again, DELICIOUS!

Chocolate Clafoutis
This was the first thing I made. I usually don't bake during the week but I immediately had to try something as soon as I got the book. In the cookbook, she garnishes it with strawberries but we didn't have any so I garnished it with unsweetened coconut flakes.

Birthday Cookie Cake
I think I did something wrong while making this because ours turned out a little on the crumbly side but it was still full of flavor and so good! I will have to try this again after my detox. 

We, also, tried one of the savory dishes in the cookbook. Yes, there are even savory dishes and yes, they contain chocolate!!! We made the chili with roasted butternut squash. I forgot to snap a picture of this but we let several people try it and know several people who made it and it is probably some of the best chili yet! 

If you want some gluten-free desserts that are not full of refined sugar and processed flours this is a cookbook for you! You can order yourself a copy HERE. The author of the cookbook also has a Facebook, Instagram, and her blog. She goes by The Spunky Coconut. Check her pages out and follow her!

I wanted to share the recipe for the Sunflower Cups.

6oz dark chocolate
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter with no added sugar
1tbsp honey
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved
pinch of sea salt

Instructions:
1. Melt the chocolate. When it is the consistency of frosting use a silicone basting brush to coat the inside of 8 miniature baking cups. (I used a mini muffin silicon dish because I did not have baking cups) When all are coated rinse the brush in hot water and dry with a towel.
2. Freeze for 5 mins then brush on another coat of chocolate. Freeze the chocolate-coated cups while you make the filling. Rinse the brush in hot water and dry with a towel.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the sunflower seed butter, honey, vanilla, and salt.
4. Remove the chocolate cups from freezer. Roll the sunflower seed mixture into balls and press into cups.
5. Brush chocolate over the top of the filled cups and freeze to set. Rinse the brush in hot water and dry with a towel. When the top coat is solid brush the final coat of chocolate on the top.
6. Store the Sunflower Cups in the refrigerator and enjoy cold or at room temperature. 

If you try them, let me know what you think. We thought they were delicious! 

Happy Friday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment